Friday, 14 June 2013

Chapter 1: Part C

I looked hopelessly around the empty roof. There was no sight of any life outside, no chance of any help. I heard a noise behind the door and turned in time to see it burst open and at least 10 armed guards emerge. I got on my knees and dropped the hard drive. I put my hands behind my head in defeat. It was over. I had been caught.  One of the guards put his pistol back in his holster and retrieved a pair of handcuffs.  He went behind me and locked my wrists together and hauled me to my feet.  I started walking towards the stairs, back down to my cell, when I felt a large hand on my back and was shoved forward. The ground came rushing forward and, unable to use my hands to stop my fall, my head came down onto the concrete with a sickening thud.  I head the distant laughs of the guards, but was unable to concentrate over the throbbing of my nose. There was a crash as the door burst open and gunshots were fired. I wanted to roll on my back and watch what was happening but I didn’t dare move. There were more thuds as the bodies of the guards slumped to the ground. There was silence, then, the sound of footsteps approaching. They stopped for a second, and then continued along with the jangling sounds of keys. I felt hands at my wrists as the handcuffs were unlocked. I pushed myself up off the ground and onto my feet. I looked eyes into the bright blue eyes of a soldier in a khaki coloured uniform.  He had greying hair but was still very fit. Before I could assess him more I heard the sound of an engine.  Looked down at the ground, but saw nothing. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see the man pointing to the sky. I turned and realised that the noise was coming from a chopper.  As it neared, a ladder dropped down, which looked flimsy at best. When the helicopter was hovering above the roof the soldier moved towards it and started climbing. I had no idea who these people were but they had just saved my life. I wiped my nose, and saw the amount of blood that was streaming out. I needed medical attention, and whoever these people were, they seemed to have training, and would most likely have a medical kit on-board. I bent down and picked up the hard drive and hurried to the ladder and started climbing. I was barely halfway up when the helicopter started moving. I quickly finished the climb and slumped into one of the chairs. I attached my seatbelt and held on to the hard drive, my only link to my previous self. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment